Saturday, September 03, 2005

Nearer My God To Thee

Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
E’en though it be a cross that raiseth me,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.

Refrain

Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to Thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone.
Yet in my dreams I’d be nearer, my God to Thee.

Refrain

There let the way appear, steps unto Heav’n;
All that Thou sendest me, in mercy given;
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee.

Refrain

Then, with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I’ll raise;
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee.

Refrain

Or, if on joyful wing cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I’ll fly,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.

Refrain

There in my Father’s home, safe and at rest,
There in my Savior’s love, perfectly blest;
Age after age to be, nearer my God to Thee.
Refrain
R.M.S. "Titanic"




3 Comments:

Blogger Yasha said...

Hey everybody. This is a quite touching entry. This very hymn was played by the string players of the ship R.M.S. "Titanic" as she went down into the cold depths after a fatal collision with an iceberg. It is very sad, but does need to be remembered. The souls who perished that fateful night need to be remembered with reverence and bravery. I, being a musician, think of the brave string players sitting atop the deck, all the while chaos being around them, playing cheerful and encouraging tunes to change the mood of things. These brave men knew the ship was going to sink, they were going to do their best to comfort everybody. They were never seen again. God rest the souls of those brave gentlemen. My heart cries out to theirs in respect and reverence. May your souls rest peacefully at the bottom of the abyss until, in the latter times, the sea shall give up its dead. You will be joyfully received in heaven with music and instruments greater than any ever played. Sleep on and be patient wonderful men, your time draws near.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something about the spirit of a musician that transcends all reason or mortality. Something within the musician's heart walks this earth still tethered to the very hand of God. As if on loan from Heaven, they step down upon the earth, play her the music God has sent and then, ascend back to the Father.
The events that transpired on the night that the Titanic went down, seem to lend testimony to these truths. Faced with certain terror and death, the musicians onboard the R.M.S. Titanic seemed to take leave of their humanness and went about the business of playing their final number. Possibly that was the song that brought them to earth in the first place. Maybe everything prior to that moment had been a rehearsal for the moment when the comfort of their melodies would lull the frightened passengers into eternal slumber. I believe that one second after the Titanic submerged for a final time, the musicians knelt safely before God, having completed their journey and ready to return the music to the Great Composer and Conductor of the Universe.

"Enter into your rest....."

9:43 PM  
Blogger Gwenyth said...

That is such an awesome entry Jacob!!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home